These tales from Ask Reddit are going to make you wish to keep indoors all summer season lengthy.
1. I used to be in Syria on a go to from Australia again within the late 90’s. I noticed 2 canine within the distance, about 30 meters away, lit up by a brilliant moon. They’d faces that appeared human. I critically froze. They walked as much as about 10 meters away and appeared completely flipping human. One in every of them growled so I fired off a spherical they usually ran away. I instantly headed again residence trying over my shoulder the entire means. I advised my aunt what I noticed and the home erupted in laughter. It was some native ghost story. Everybody had an encounter with them at one stage or one thing. Fuck these canine.
2. It was in the summertime round nightfall and I used to be tenting at a distant campground with my dad. There was a lake proper subsequent to the grounds and my dad and I’d path blaze via the forest proper subsequent to the lake as a result of for those who went far sufficient there was a very fairly waterfall. A number of unusual issues happed on this hike. We discovered a slash pile that had a little bit children shoe on prime. After we got here to a small clearing, my dad needed to take a leak to he confronted one facet of the clearing and I confronted the opposite and we each clearly heard a toddler say, “I’m over right here.” My dad thought it was me, and when he realized it wasn’t, we spent half an hour in search of somebody, however we discovered no one. After that, we gave up on going to the waterfall and began to make our means again to camp, however there have been clear sounds of one thing following us (twigs snapping, bushes shaking). We haven’t been tenting there since.
Three. I used to be within the woods with three mates at evening. A buddy’s home was close by and I used to be getting hungry so I went inside to seek out some meals. One other buddy got here inside with me. Two mates had been nonetheless outdoors.
Afterward, one of many two who had been outdoors is available in and sees the indoor buddy on the sofa subsequent to me. They panic and instantly run again outdoors.
I poke my head out the door asking what’s occurring, solely to listen to them yell as loudly as they’ll: “THAT’S NOT KEVIN”
Everybody comes inside and calms down a bit, and the story comes out. They thought the buddy who was indoors with me (Kevin) had been outdoors with them this complete time. Why? As a result of within the darkness of the woods they noticed a silhouette about the identical top strolling alongside them silently, then in some unspecified time in the future it ran away they usually had been chasing it pondering Kevin was operating off for some motive. The explanation my buddy yelled, “That’s not Kevin” was to cease the final outside buddy from chasing whoever was on the market deeper into the woods.
We nonetheless don’t know who that was or why they didn’t ever communicate.
four. My girlfriend and I had pushed down an outdated dust street that ran beside a lake on one facet with mountains on the opposite. We had been in search of unexplored territory to hike in. The dust street grew to become a path and ultimately was swallowed up completely by the forest. As soon as the trail grew to become impassable by automobile we bought out and hiked for fairly a while and commenced making our means again to the automobile because the solar was happening.
It was a problem getting the automobile rotated however I lastly managed and we had been off. It was sluggish going because it was a shitty street and getting darkish quick. Immediately we got here to fork within the path that hadn’t been seen coming the opposite means. Neither of us had any thought whether or not to go proper or left so I simply picked randomly, hoping that each would find yourself taking us again to the primary street.
As we rounded a small curve within the street our headlights fall upon a person dragging a big hockey duffle bag off the path into the woods. As quickly because the lights hit him he simply froze fully nonetheless. Driving previous him felt like an eternity as a result of we couldn’t have been doing extra that 5 miles an hour, as a result of shitty street. My girlfriend and I didn’t say a phrase to one another till we had been properly previous him…at which level we had been like “Wtf was that?” After which the street ended. Identical to the place we had stopped the primary time, the forest had swallowed up this a part of the street. We had been going to have to show round and drive by the person with the human sized duffle bag once more.
I advised my girlfriend to buckle up and maintain on tight as a result of on the first signal of hassle I used to be going to gun it. We got here to the spot the place the person was and he was nowhere to be seen. We ultimately made it to the correct path and bought the fuck out of there.
The weirdest factor about it was that there wasnt a automobile anyplace close to this man for 50 miles in both course. We might’ve seen it if there had been. We’d traveled so far as doable each methods and there simply wasn’t and place to tug off of the street. How the hell did he get there? The place was he going? What was within the bag?
5. I’m going mountaineering within the woods that permeate my city, typically so late that I get to see the solar rise on the market.
The strangest factor I ever noticed was what I might solely describe as a shanty city was constructed up seemingly in a single day deep into the woods. Easy little hovels made from scrap steel and mattress sheets and a small hearth pit that somebody had made out of an outdated tire, with the hearth nonetheless burning. However that wasn’t the bizarre half.
The bizarre half was that this was properly handed midnight when I discovered this place and it was quiet as a grave. There was nobody there. Somebody made the difficulty of getting a fireplace going after which left it. From the look of it this place might maintain a couple of dozen or so individuals and but there was nothing there however the hearth they deserted and no matter possessions that they had left within the shanties.
6. I’m going out for walks very late at evening pretty usually, so I’ve seen a number of issues.
The creepiest although, occurred about two months in the past. I left the home round 1:30am, and it began off as a traditional stroll. I wandered across the city until about 2:00am, after I determined to go residence. I used to be strolling again the route I had got here after I seen a black van meander down the road. Didn’t actually pay to a lot consideration to it although, at first. I did concentrate although after I noticed it slowly drive by me for a second time. I wasn’t completely certain it was the identical van although, so I simply continued strolling. However this time I stored an eye fixed out. And low and fucking behold, about ten minutes later, the identical rattling black van got here down the road once more. This time I knew for certain as a result of it didn’t have license plates. Now I used to be pretty scared, so I picked my tempo up a little bit bit. When the van got here round once more this time, it stopped in the midst of the street a number of homes in entrance of me. I finished, rotated, and booked it again within the different course. I made a number of turns onto totally different roads, after which ran proper into somebody’s yard. I waited behind their fence, and the identical fucking van got here down the road. I assume that after they couldn’t discover me, they lastly determined to fuck off. However I waited in that yard for about 20 minutes earlier than I ran again to my home and virtually threw myself via my bed room window.
7. Oh goddammit, I forgot the one which *really* made in fall down clutching my coronary heart.
I used to be tenting and among the group had gone off on a late evening stroll. After some time, me and a buddy bought bored and determined to go search for them. It was just about rolling grassland hills with few timber on the market, so we figured it wouldn’t be exhausting. It was additionally unearthly quiet, aside from the occasional distant owl or coyote sounds, so we had been whispering and being very chill. There was fairly good moon so we hadn’t introduced lights both. Anyway, I lastly see somebody standing underneath a tree on the crest of this hill, so I’m going up there first. I name out quietly and don’t get a response. Once more, no response. Kinda aggravated, I simply strut up there, however I’m realizing one thing appears bizarre about this particular person I’ve been seeing. They’re holding their arms over their head and the proportions aren’t proper. However I believe that was all kinda unconscious, as a result of I didn’t do something totally different till I bought shut sufficient to see that it wasn’t an individual in any respect, however a fucking coyote that somebody had flayed and strung as much as the tree by the limbs like some type of totem. I actually fell backwards in shock.
Seems the lady who owned the property was no fan of coyotes coming after her livestock. She additionally woke us all up in the midst of the evening as soon as with sustained AR-15 hearth. Like 20 pictures. Somebody who lived close to there simply mentioned “Oh she should have discovered a complete pack of them. Return to sleep.”
eight. It wasn’t what I noticed – I noticed nothing out of the atypical. Nevertheless my canine bought very agitated round a sure a part of a path and alternated between barking and snarling, and hiding behind my legs. It creeped me out sufficient that we hurried out of there quick.
9. I stroll at evening in my rural space often. I’ve encountered black bears, coyotes, bobcats, indignant deer, and every thing on down, with no actual concern. However the creepiest encounter, was a little bit black pickup truck with rainbow and unicorn stickers. Bubblegum pop music blaring, and it smelled like cottencandy when it handed me. First time it handed me it swerved to hit me. I jumped out of the best way simply. I assumed nothing of it actually, simply figured they had been startled by seeing me at evening with my reflective gear. The truck circled again and comes at me once more. I noticed it coming this time and grabbed my canine up simply in time to leap right into a ditch. I heard little woman laughter, excessive pitched and maniacal. The tiny truck circled again for a 3rd go at me, however by then I used to be hiding in my neighbors shrubbery. I watched it slowly drive down the street, listening to guffawing because it handed me. Happily it stored on going and I made it residence simply fantastic.
10. I’m late to the occasion, however years in the past some mates and I had been going to have a campfire at a lake late at evening, with copious quantities of alcohol. After we bought there, we needed to drive round a barricade, and one of many automobiles bought caught within the mud. Whereas attempting to get it unstuck, I appeared round and made a joke about how we had been undoubtedly at first of a horror film. All of us giggle about it. We get the automobile out and proceed to the lake, get all arrange, hearth goes, music is enjoying, drinks are flowing, we’re having a good time. Abruptly some random fucking man comes strolling out of the woods with a beer. I get nervous, everybody else tells me I’m being paranoid since I watch numerous scary motion pictures. They invite him to affix us, he finally ends up sitting subsequent to me (however a number of toes away). I’m going to seize one other beer from the cooler, see the hatchet that somebody introduced and I determine I’m going to carry on to it. I sit again down and this random man makes some remark about he can see my jugular and desires to chew it. I’m able to peace tf out, however I in fact didn’t drive. A short time later he makes a remark about he ought to have introduced his chain noticed. I’m fully alone in pondering that is going to finish badly, I transfer throughout the hearth and nearer to the cooler and certainly one of my mates. I set the hatchet subsequent to me, attempt to ignore the man and revel in my evening. Quick ahead a bit, and the man is making extra bizarre feedback so I attain for the hatchet. It’s gone. I begin glancing round, discretely at first, when the man smiles at me from throughout the hearth and goes “in search of this?” and holds up the hatchet. I mentioned “fuck all of this, I’m leaving” and managed to get certainly one of my mates to go away. The subsequent day everybody mentioned that nothing extra occurred, however as somebody who has seen A LOT of flicks, I wasn’t taking any possibilities. I’m white, however I’m not giggle off a loopy man with a hatchet white.
11. I drove to a park to go mountaineering at evening within the mountains (so secure I do know) And I hadn’t even turned off my automobile and I already really feel like I’m being watched. There weren’t any automobiles round so I assumed perhaps it was simply me being paranoid for some motive. However for some motive I appeared to my proper and I see this bizarre trying humanoid form on prime of the little bump hill about 50 toes away. At first I although it was a weirdly formed tree till I noticed the arms transfer (no wind in any respect). So now I do know there’s an individual watching my automobile attempting to not transfer, for what I assume is for me to get out of my automobile and go away to a extra secluded space as we had been subsequent to the street.
After all I left, I don’t go mountaineering at evening in that individual park anymore.
12. A number of mates and I went on an over evening hike within the Rockies behind our little city a number of years again after I was in HS. Our tenting web site was fairly far up there and it was getting darkish. The spot we had been at was nestled in a grove of timber secluded from the wind and parts so we determined to cease there for the evening. The 4 of us constructed a little bit hearth and ate dinner then simply talked for a number of hours. Then the entire sudden my buddy leaps ahead and douses the hearth with our emergency water plunging us into full darkness. For sure the remainder of us had been fairly pissed as there was no motive for him to do that. He rapidly shushes us and we understand he’s completely TERRIFIED. Like so scared he couldn’t even communicate or transfer. The remainder of us handle to get a number of phrase out of him and he tells us to lookup on the ridge we’re we must always have been tenting at. It was fairly far up so it was type of exhausting to see at first, however that sight will hang-out me for the remainder of my life. There was a fireplace, an enormous one, like a bonfire type of factor. Across the hearth had been a number of figures transferring in a sluggish circle. They had been humanoid however not fairly, and in that they had legs and arms like individuals however one thing simply appeared totally different about them that I can’t actually clarify. Virtually just like the limbs had been too lengthy and thin or one thing however perhaps not. Anyway these figures simply moved across the hearth in a very sluggish circle time and again. My one buddy claims he might hear them singing one thing however I don’t keep in mind something. Importantly there was one standing off to the facet a little bit methods leaning along with his arm on a tree department above his head. It actually creeped us out however we had been capable of sleep it off. We figured it was a scout troop having a camp or one thing. Morning got here and we completed off our hike to the height and on our means down we handed the place we noticed the figures and determined to take a look at the camp. It was fully abandoned. It was apparent that there had been a fireplace and there have been foot prints in all places. Inside the hearth pit was a small mound of charred animal bones (in all probability chipmunk) and a pile of 4 or 5 rodent skulls that had been burned. Creepy proper? Then we glance over at the place the one determine was standing. Blood. Not so much however sufficient to be of concern or something however sufficient to be creepy. Then we see the tree department he was casually leaning towards. It was properly over any of our heads and I’m over 6 foot. That may imply that to ensure that the determine to lean towards it like he was, he would must be at the very least 7 toes tall. For sure, we bought off that mountain very quick and I’ve by no means been up there once more. We referred to as the fish and wildlife rangers and advised them what we noticed. They mentioned it was in all probability only a bunch of youngsters messing round and to not fear about it. It may need been simply that, and we let our imaginations run wild, however all 4 of us swear to this present day all of us noticed the identical factor and it didn’t appear to be a bunch of youngsters at the hours of darkness. I don’t consider in ghost or the supernatural however these mountains nonetheless scare the shit out of me and I’ll by no means return there once more.
Don’t consider me for those who don’t wish to, however there’s something on the market, ghost or dumb children, I’m not going close to it.
13. Not meaning to mock any faith or beliefs and I actually don’t know which group this is able to be credited to anyway. Wickens? Druids? Only a psycho?
Anyway, I used to be mountaineering via a park in central Florida about Three years in the past. Form of dense scrub brush. You possibly can solely see the path in entrance of you. Brush is chest excessive on each side. I’m about 2 miles from the closest path head and it’s round 7pm. I had an hour of sunshine left. I had supposed on setting camp when I discovered the subsequent clearing.
First clearing I get to has a gator head within the center with a circle of stones round it. Perhaps 2-Three weeks outdated. Only a dried cranium with scales. Delicate tissue was gone. I had seen gator skulls left by poachers earlier than and I often ignore it, nevertheless it gave me a bizarre vibe so I stored strolling.
About 15 minutes later (and deeper in) I get to a different good sized clearing. This time, a number of lifeless birds had been strung as much as some sticks and hanging in a circle, like a cell over a child crib. 7 or eight small birds. Perhaps four toes throughout. Had been there for some time. It didn’t scent any extra at the very least. Nonetheless creepy sufficient to ship me on my means. Third occasions the attraction, proper?
Flawed. 20 minutes later and after taking to facet paths to get away from the primary path and hopefully keep away from every other “shows”, I discover a recent one. A deer head on a stick. With sticks scattered round making four circles across the base of the stick. The blood was splattered throughout the sticks. Recent sufficient for the flies to nonetheless be on it. The top smelled rancid. Didn’t see the physique, however I didn’t search for it both. I bought out of there. I used to be darkish earlier than I bought again to my truck.
Known as fish and sport the subsequent morning, as a result of the gator and deer would have been taken out of season. Informed them what I discovered and apparently this wasn’t the primary time any individual referred to as about animal effigies in that park. By no means went again however I’m curious simply what number of different “shrines” had been on the market.
14. A couple of yr in the past I used to be speaking a stroll at an area nature park, it’s slightly large, proper alongside an enormous inlet river. I are inclined to cycle up there as there may be loads of drops and jumps for me to do on my mountain bike, however this in the future/evening was a bit bizarre, you realize when you possibly can simply really feel one thing within the air?
I used to be going about my enterprise as traditional and realized it was getting fairly late, like not darkish however the mild was starting to fade, not many individuals had been there that day however all day I simply felt like I used to be being watched, I lined up a drop which runs subsequent to a set of stairs, fairly an extended one, proper as I hit the drop I hear this almighty fucking squark, actually throaty, little bit of a roar mixed with like, a chook I suppose, my handlebars wobbled a little bit bit however I managed to get to the underside with out falling.
I slam on my brakes and lookup the drop behind me and there was this determine, human like simply standing on the prime, he was carrying denim denims with this fucking bizarre, virtually pagan-esque gown/garment which had like feathers on it, all tattered and stuff, and he simply checked out me, lifeless pan, no expression and after about 10 seconds simply set free this fucking noise once more, actually loud, eyes stretched out – I shit my fucking pants, and commenced to cycle out.
Now it’s a couple of 10 min experience of windy paths, going over little picket bridges overlaying small rivers/runs – and I swear to fucking god this noise occurs like four extra occasions, every a little bit nearer and to prime it off, there was fucking no one round, like usually you get strolling via, or older folks with their canine, however no one, nothing. I’ve been again twice since, and every time I simply can’t get snug sufficient to stay round and revel in myself like I used too, in the future I believe I’ll seize a bunch of my buddies from hockey and go exploring, see if we will determine that shit out.
15. I’ve spent many an evening mountaineering in deserts and mountains and by no means felt uncomfortable or noticed something creepy till the time I appeared up.
I took an evening hike to some petroglyphs not too removed from Durango, CO. I used to be alone, was about an hour hike, and it was simply after midnight after I bought to the petroglyphs. Checked em out then sat on a ledge and busted out some summer season sausage and my flask of whiskey.
I look as much as the sky and waaay up there’s a speck transferring fairly rapidly, I’ve seen this earlier than and been advised it’s the worldwide area station or a satellite tv for pc. So I’m watching it zoom throughout the sky pondering how cool it’s… When it all of the sudden reverses course. My thoughts is doing psychological gymnastics attempting to determine it out, perhaps two satellites handed one another and I overlooked the one I used to be initially watching. Besides it occurred AGAIN and it went again the opposite means on a barely totally different course.
I really stood up and mentioned ‘what the fuck?’. I don’t know a lot about area, however I felt actually uneasy watching that white speck means up there doing that, like my thoughts is seeing one thing it is aware of shouldn’t be taking place. After which I felt a way of dread, which was weird. After which I overlooked the speck fully and high-tailed it again to my truck.
16. It’s time for a lightweight supernatural story.
Not a lot of a mountaineering although, it was a survival take a look at for becoming a member of a mountaineering membership in my campus.
There have been 20-ish of us together with myself, in the midst of the woods, with our meals had been confiscated by the recruitment committe in order that we would have liked to seek out pure meals from nature reminiscent of fruit (particularly banana), edible vegetation, and even locust or snake if fortunate. Depressing take a look at, however beneficial expertise certainly.
Someday, it was raining so exhausting within the afternoon and all of our 5 teams hadn’t completed arrange our group bivouacs. We deliberately set them close to one another so we might examine everybody immediately one thing goes flawed. Nobody was speaking or chatting to one another, it was solely given by our soaked garments and empty stomaches, when all of the sudden all of us heard a hysterical girl scream. An 5-seconds shocked girl scream. Everybody heard it and the scream was so shut and loud, all of us thought it was certainly one of us screaming due to snake or one thing.
So naturally, the boys jolted immediately to a bivouac we thought was the supply of the scream. No women had been crouching or standing up as we imagined. All of us stared at one another, particularly the ladies as we thought certainly one of them was pulling a prank on us to shock us. Nobody claimed the scream nor admitted that it was her joke, everybody appeared equally shocked. After minutes of investigating the ladies, we then went again to our respective teams with an unanswered incident, even after the recruitment course of was completed and we went again to civilization.
After we formally members of the membership, we shared that story to our seniors and it seems, the place my batch used to set bivouacs was the primary time for use in 5 years. And the final batch used that a part of the woods skilled the precise screaming incident, additionally with none logical rationalization, they usually selected to base that incident as their batch title “Forest’s Cry.”
17. It was late and we determined to take a shortcut via a building web site as a result of we had been drained. As a result of all of the streets across the building web site had been closed it was fully empty, simply the 2 of us within the South Loop space of Chicago.
We’re crossing this small bridge and simply chatting away about what we preferred essentially the most concerning the present. I used to be taking a look at him after which flip my head ahead and am nose to nose with what appears like a zombie rat. Somebody had taken a mummified rat or squirrel or one thing and use wire to place it prefer it was pouncing mid-air at your face. Scared the fuck out of me.
18. Wasn’t mountaineering; however was tenting close to the Appalachian Path after I was a youngster (admittedly to go drink on the 4th of July). Lived close to the Appalachian Path my entire life, so knew that it was a ripe spot for meth heads, and severe poverty.
We had chosen a pleasant large clearing that was subsequent to a car parking zone, however we knew the world properly sufficient to know that it wasn’t a really visited spot (gotta drink someplace). Awoke in the midst of the evening to a low hum of some kind of auto; dismissed it as being within the car parking zone. Fell again asleep subsequent factor you realize the bottom was shaking, felt the bottom virtually compressing, so the automobile couldn’t be greater than 2-Three toes from our tent driving at a sluggish tempo with the headlights off.
Naturally thought it was a park ranger however was too scared to be caught ingesting to say something. So I froze up and simply pretended to be asleep. Ultimately the automobile drives by full fuel, and will hear it go off within the distance, however all of the sudden every thing was silent, and I see A LOT of flash lights strolling previous our tents, I dismissed it as how lights can appear to be numerous lights when proven via a tent.
So pondering it was my mates who gotten out to examine what was up with that automobile. I advised them to “shut the fucking lights off”. They did, all went off on the similar time. I then turned over to see the out line of all my mates of their sleeping baggage, however since we had another tent I wasn’t frightened. The fellows within the different tent the subsequent day then ask us if we had gotten out and drove via the campground final evening, we mentioned no.. I then requested them in the event that they went to test it out. They in flip mentioned no. They thought it was us simply returning to our tents.
I then had essentially the most uneasy feeling on the planet, like I used to be about to throw up.
19. I heard a ruckus as soon as I can’t clarify. Bushes shaking, growling and grunts. This was center of winter and every thing was nonetheless, after which all this exploded. I ran to my stand since that was closest and posted up attempting to determine what it was. Nonetheless don’t know.
20. Climbing in central Maine, close to the 100 mile wilderness part of the AT… about as thinly populated as you may get within the decrease 48. Spouse and I pull as much as the trailhead at about 2AM after an extended drive and epic storms, and determine to catch a number of Z’s earlier than hitting the path at dawn.
After settling in we discover a blinking mild on a distant mountain – there’s no illumination for miles and miles in any course so it stands proud instantly – and touch upon it probably being the one radio tower for 50 miles. Then the sunshine begins slowly transferring down the hill, it’s perhaps a pair miles off, and we each get . We determine it have to be some really insane bastard coming down the mountain within the darkest a part of evening with a headlamp, and the blinking is when a tree obscures line of sight.
It retains coming and picks up velocity, and at this level we begin to make informal jokes that it’s coming rights in direction of us. I can’t keep in mind how lengthy we had the automobile’s lights off, however at this level we flip them again on as we’re beginning to really feel a little bit creepy. We watch the sunshine come down the hill, overlaying the couple miles in a minute… perhaps two. Then it’s proper outdoors about 20 toes off the bottom and blinking. We seize a flashlight to attempt to see what it’s, however can see nothing – it’s only a blinking mild concerning the brightness of a dim road mild showing each few seconds. It hovered there for round 20 minutes, then was all of the sudden gone.
To this present day we don’t know what it was. I assume some type of large glowy bug, however I’ve lived within the nation most of my life and have by no means seen something that brilliant or a bug transfer that quick.
21. My spouse walks our canine late at evening.
She heard a sound and couldn’t determine the place it was coming from. It was a excessive pitched whining like a radio managed automobile, and gave the impression to be coming from the graveyard close to the place she crosses a street. She figured an electrical field had failed, and continued strolling.
Each canine instantly began alerting and staring on the graveyard behind her. Then she noticed the offender: a quadcopter.
Now keep in mind that it was previous midnight. The quadcopter didn’t have any operating lights. And it began to observe my spouse. She was greater than a bit upset, so she messaged me, and requested me to be able to drive and decide her up.
The quadcopter continued to observe her, and matched each flip she made. She mentioned to me that she was frightened of it realizing the place we lived.
She was able to name the police, when the quadcopter rotated and headed off. I drove to select her up, and we drove out of city to method our residence from a special route.
The subsequent day we requested the native on-line neighborhood teams about it. Seems that this quadcopter had been following girls to their properties for a number of days. The police had been notified, however the quadcopter’s pilot determined to put low, and the police couldn’t discover something. We’re assuming that the quad pilot noticed the discussion board dialogue about them.
22. Didn’t really see something, and I’m actually glad I didn’t. A buddy and I had began strolling a path system that leads deep via some woods and fields by his home round nightfall. Through the day it’s actually peaceable and inexperienced and whatnot, nevertheless it was late and it was getting darkish quick. The realm we reside in has been flooding just lately and the path is presently 2 toes underwater about half means via the loop, however my buddy mentioned we might stroll to that time after which take a shortcut again to the start via a type of man-made pine forests the place the timber are all completely lined and spaced aside. We solely needed to go about fifty toes into the pines earlier than the cover made it pitch black throughout us, however he is aware of the world so we stored going. A couple of hundred toes additional in we each hear a really distinctive squeaky door noise. Like, actually no likelihood of it being something aside from outdated rusty hinges. He’s come via right here twenty occasions up to now few weeks whereas jogging throughout the day and confirms that he’s by no means seen any kind of constructing or something with a door again right here. We each determined that we’d slightly simply stroll the path again the best way we got here in than take care of no matter horror film shit was taking place in there. I’ve by no means noped out of a state of affairs quicker than I did then.
23. I used to be out taking my canine on a brief stroll and to go to the lavatory. She was a rescue and was at this level frightened of every thing. So getting her outdoors was at all times a process.
It was ~four am and he or she was whining at me. I figured she wanted to go to the lavatory so I placed on some sneakers and took her outdoors. It was a heat evening because it was July in Missouri.
I’m strolling down the road from my condominium advanced and I see a determine standing underneath a streetlight, not transferring. Considering it was only a man out for an early morning run, I stored strolling. That’s when this determine began to maneuver in direction of me in a bizarre style. He wasn’t jogging, wasn’t strolling, it appeared like skipping.
Considering to myself “uhh what the fuck.” I finished strolling. That’s when my canine began growling from behind my legs. I’d had her virtually six months and had by no means heard her growl or bark. I rotated and walked again into my advanced. I appeared over my shoulder and this dude is standing on the entrance to my condominium advanced, head to toe in black clothes, grinning from ear to ear. I used to be totally in what the fuck is that this bullshit mode and walked again into the advanced additional whereas checking to verify smiles wasn’t following me. I began to stroll in direction of my entrance and he turned and slipped away into the evening.
I went and talked to my landlord the subsequent day and he or she advised me they’d had a number of stories of this man skipping across the advanced late at evening however every time the cops confirmed up he was gone.
24. Two cubs and no mom. In different phrases, I had in all probability come between them.
25. Often, it’s what I hear. Giant (fallen) branches snapping simply out of sight of my head lamp. Or waking up an hour later and listening to steps and leaves rustling, however too exhausted and fearful to examine or wish to know (in all probability nothing essential anyway).
One time I returned to my automobile after a late evening hike with mates and my SUV was coated in… foot/hand/paw prints. They had been simply sooo massive and even dragged a little bit within the mud. It was on/close to a big army base within the mountains. I believe some native enlisted could have made them to scare us. However it was simply so properly performed. Fairly scary for all of us as a result of it’s what you’d think about the Blair witch would do. No animal did it.
26. This occurred to me a number of years in the past. I used to go to high school on the College of California Santa Cruz. I’m a runner and the campus is in a stupendous redwood forest, so I’d run on the paths. Someday I left a little bit later than traditional on a run via one of many extra remoted trails. Right here’s the place it will get bizarre.
I used to be about 15 minutes operating deep into the woods and nonetheless hadn’t seen anybody else round. Immediately, up forward, I noticed what seemed to be a homeless man in ragged clothes strolling on the path. Now, he was strolling additional into the woods, and this path went very very far and the solar was setting. Aka this man was spending the evening within the woods. I needed to achieve my traditional operating checkpoint earlier than turning again so I made a decision to maintain my distance and run by. As quickly as I handed the person he referred to as out to me, “What got here first, mild or sound?”. In my head I used to be like wtf this man is nuts, however I made a decision to humor him and yelled out mild with out trying again. He mentioned, “properly I believe it’s sound, however who is aware of…” and began mumbling to himself. I continued on.
I reached my objective and began to go again. It was actually darkish now and I used to be feeling sketched out that I needed to move this man once more to get again. He appeared fairly loopy and probably harmful however I didn’t have a selection. I bought handed the purpose the place I first handed him however he was nowhere to be seen. There weren’t every other branches of the path and if he had headed again I’d have seen him by then. He should have gone off the path. Immediately a woman from up on a hill screamed for me to cease.
I finished and appeared up on the hill nevertheless it was too darkish to see something. I used to be freaked out. I referred to as out to ask if she was alright and ultimately noticed her climbing down. The hill was actually steep so she put in numerous effort to stand up there and away from no matter was after her. She mentioned that she was on a run when a scary homeless man began harassing her and he chased her up the hill. However she didn’t know the place he went. She was going to spend the evening there till I got here alongside as a result of she was too scared to return down.
At this level we each needed to get the hell out of there. Who knew if this creepy man was like lurking round watching us from the darkish. So we ran again collectively and made it to the street. She thanked me and we parted methods. By no means ran again on that path once more. Santa Cruz could be a fairly bizarre place, I’ve heard legends of scholars flunking out of college there after which simply dwelling within the forest. Perhaps this man was a scholar from years previous.
27. After I was youthful and stupider and going to school within the north Georgia mountains, my mates and I’d go evening mountaineering so much on the paths close to campus. I bought fairly acquainted with the world, and being out within the wilderness at evening generally, which in all probability made me too assured.
One evening the total moon was out, and the climate was good, so visibility was loopy good (every thing was principally washed in dim blue mild). I used to be barely stoned, and feeling adventurous, and I like doing enjoyable stuff alone, so I made a decision to go get pleasure from an evening hike on my own. I took a flashlight, however this was round 2002 so no mobile phone. I selected a brilliant simple path that was principally flat/ perhaps a mile loop, in fairly secluded space, however not precisely a nationwide park or something (very rural space). I didn’t even want my flashlight for many of it, and simply hiked within the moonlight; it was really a very cool/ stunning expertise at first.
Sooner or later I began feeling uneasy, and perhaps a millisecond later I heard a person’s voice. It was coming from a long way forward of me, someplace off within the woods, perhaps from the correct facet of the path. He was crying.
I’m actually an empathetic particular person, and 99.9% of the time I hear somebody crying I wish to consolation/ assist them not directly, however this time I felt sick within the abdomen, like a dry panic assault, if that is smart. I keep in mind coming very near calling out to him, as a result of my mind was attempting to inform me he may be harm, which was the one motive I hesitated – nevertheless it was like my physique shut my voice down earlier than I might say something, and I knew I needed to keep very quiet. He was sobbing like he’d simply discovered a liked one had died, but additionally gibbering, and almost-babbling, like he was lower than an individual. There was a shrillness to it, underneath his crying, like he was holding again a scream – however perpetually, on and on, as if he’d been doing all of it evening. I keep in mind it vividly, and my backbone is tingling like loopy whilst I write this. It’s exhausting to elucidate, however I knew deep down he wasn’t proper within the head, and nothing good would occur if he realized I used to be listening.
I went again the best way I got here; it was like I had tunnel-hearing, and the one sound on the planet was that crying. I used to be hyper-aware of every thing else round me, and past paranoid that I’d snap a department, or snag my boot on one thing. I frightened the person’s crying would get louder if I wasn’t paying razor sharp consideration, getting nearer, or flip into an outraged crazy-person scream.
Fortunately it simply light the additional I bought from it, and I made it again to my automobile. Nonetheless, I used to be satisfied some wild-eyed hermit was going to hurry out of the forest and chew me to demise, proper as much as the second I locked my doorways and bought the fuck out of there. I lastly had the remainder of my panic assault on the drive again. I managed to park again at campus, and I simply sat within the automobile and picked up myself. Adrenaline is fucking highly effective.
I’ve by no means felt a shred of guilt about leaving that man crying out within the woods at the hours of darkness. I do know I used to be barely stoned, however barely is the important thing phrase there. I’m satisfied to this present day I used to be in very actual hazard that evening. Positively not as insane as many of the tales in threads like this – however typically I get that very same sick feeling deep down, every time I ponder what may need occurred if the moon been much less brilliant, or if I’d been extra accountable, and I’d determined to make use of my flashlight even as soon as. He’d have seen me for certain.
28. Whereas it didn’t occur throughout the hike, slightly the tenting, it was nonetheless the creepiest factor I’ve skilled on the market.
Was working at a summer season camp for youths and we went on an in a single day outing. Had a cougar circle our camp from round 11pm to roughly 5am. It was crying out, hoping certainly one of us would separate from the group. I stayed up all evening with bear spray and a hatchet maintaining a tally of it with the opposite workers.
29. Not mountaineering a lot as automobile tenting, however we had been means the fuck on the market in the midst of nowhere on BLM land in Colorado. We drove for an hour and a half down a forest service street and didn’t see one other soul. You would see headlights and listen to automobiles from miles away from our campsite – it’s not like any individual might have snuck up unnoticed.
We had Three automobiles with us and eight individuals. Simply bought performed consuming dinner, cleaned up, it was getting darkish so we went again to the automobiles actual fast earlier than hitting our tents for the evening. Any person had slashed the entrance proper tire on every of the three automobiles with what seemed to be a field cutter. Everybody thought it was a prank nevertheless it develop into very obvious, in a short time that it wasn’t. All of us had been past spooked, like panicking, scary to look at spooked. All of us had spares, and one dude had a gun, so we threw on our donuts whereas that man actually guarded us and bought the hell out of there.
I nonetheless have nightmares about it typically. Simply realizing there was some particular person, in all probability watching us, perhaps eager to hurt us, makes me really feel bodily ailing to this present day.
30. I used to usually spend my summers bouldering with my mates by a comparatively massive forest that was about an hour and a half away from the place I used to reside. We used to spend among the nights tenting on the market simply to avoid wasting journey prices and time.
Anyway, I believe this was roughly just like the third or forth time we had been on the market tenting, my buddy had left all her climbing gear and her rucksack simply outdoors her tent or we undoubtedly suppose she did anyway. The subsequent morning we discovered her boots, a number of garments and all her chalk powder had disappeared. We figured that it might have been fully possible that she misplaced it, though we had been fairly certain that they had been subsequent to her tent we didn’t actually wish to consider that they had been stolen. Anyway, we didn’t learn an excessive amount of into this and simply stupidly mentioned to ourselves that maybe she had left it by the boulders and a few animal took an curiosity to it… I do know it sounds silly nevertheless it was very cheap to us on the time
Anyway quick ahead a yr, we’re on the similar spot as traditional, sitting by the tents and chilling after having some meals. Thoughts you it’s pitch black out, and solely the camp space is lit by the hearth. I’m going someplace a bit out of sight for a slash and what do I see? A dude in a full on ghillie go well with laying on his abdomen trying proper in direction of our camp web site. I kinda stood there frozen as this dude clocks that I’ve seen him and he simply bolts it out of there.
I don’t know whether or not the occasion to the yr prior was associated to the ghillie man however this undoubtedly has caught to all of us, we haven’t been again there since which is a rattling disgrace.